Hieropolis

Hierapolis was founded as a thermal spa early in the 2nd century BC within the Seleucid Empire. Antiochus the Great sent 2,000 Jewish families to Lydia and Phrygia from Babylon and Mesopotamia, later joined by more from Judea. The Jewish congregation grew in Hierapolis and has been estimated as high as 50,000 in 62 BC. The city was expanded after the 190 BC Battle of Magnesia where Antiochus the Great was defeated by the Roman ally Eumenes II. Following the Treaty of Apamea ending the Syrian War, Eumenes annexed much of Asia Minor, including Hierapolis. Hierapolis became a healing centre where doctors used the thermal springs as a treatment for their patients. The city began minting bronze coins in the 2nd century BC. These coins give the name Hieropolis. It remains unclear whether this name referred to the original temple or honored Hiera. This name eventually changed into Hierapolis ("holy city"), according to the Byzantine geographer Stephanus on account of its large number of temples




Cilicia Hover to enlarge Cilicia

Cilicia, Hieropolis/Kastabala
2nd to 1st c. BC
AE 20
Obvs: No inscription, turreted Tyche right. Branch behind.
Revs: IEPOΠOΛITΩN TΩN ΠPOΣ TΩN, City-goddess with scepter. Eagle beneath.
20mm, 10.9g
$189.00
Order # G 098
Ref: SNG Levante --, Sear --
Note: coin is heavier and thicker than other issues, unpublished.

SOLD_
Antiochus IV Hover to enlarge Antiochus IV

Antiochus IV
Mint: Hierapolis on the Pyramus (Castabala)
Denomination C
168 to 164 BC
Obvs: Antiochus IV radiate and diademed right, dotted border.
Revs: IEPOΠOΛITΩN TΩN ΠPOΣ TΩI ΠYPAMΩI, eagle standing left. Wreath border.
AE 15x18mm, 6.00g
$20.50
Order # G 290
Ref: SC 1391.3; HGC 10, 682(R2)

SOLD
CR